Thursday, August 5, 2010

Smile, it's worth the wrinkles!

So today I allowed myself the 5 pices of Dove chocolate that I was craving and read the lovely insides of each wrapper. It is always nice to read something that makes your day and today, one of my wrappers said, "Smile! It's worth the wrinkles!" I loved that!! Be sure to smile to a stranger today. Show people God's love:)

In an effort to make my blog entries shorter and most effective, I have divided up all the readings I am catching up on and currently reading into a bunch of mini blogs. So read away and you will see what I have to say for each book.

Haggai
My Bible says the theme of Haggai is "Rebuilding for results--the blessing is in the doing." I just loved that!

Verses 5-11 really hit home. Especially the end of verse 5 that says, "You earn wages, only to put them in a purse with holes in it." The last two years, I have been trying (and have) made a conscious effort to buy less and live more. I read a line in a news story on AOL.com that read something along the lines of "make sure your account summary is a reflection of the life you want to live." That really hit home for me. I looked and my financial spending two years ago and it consisted of clothing and STUFF. Just stuff. This past year I did a really great job and shopped the least amount that I have in the last 5 years. I was extremely proud of myself. However, being home for the summer with a little time to shop and with jobs again, it gets me thinking. However, the spending has to be intentional and necessary. Otherwise it is a purse with holes. My tithing, spending, etc is improving slowly but surely. I can see God at work in me and my finances. Thank you Lord for convicting me and reminding me today to spend and save wisely in Haggai.

Another great set of verses to note is Haggai 1:9-10, "You expected much, but see, it turned out to be little. What you brought home, I blew away. Why?" declares the LORD Almighty. "Because of my house, which remains a ruin, while each of you is busy with his own house. 10 Therefore, because of you the heavens have withheld their dew and the earth its crops." The Lord is referring to HIS house/the temple that needed to be built. HIS house is in ruins, and we mask it with our busy lifestyles and put us before HIM. I think we can very much relate this to modern day needs of the church not just the building but the BODY of Christ church.

No comments: